Many of our students live within walking distance of the school. We do encourage environmentally friendly and safe walking and cycling routes to school.
Helping to keep your child safe - an appeal to parents
We ask parents to please not to park on Broadway and Foxland Road at the start and end of the school day. Cars parked here hold up the flow of traffic and make crossing the road more hazardous for students. This also causes inconvenience for our neighbours.
Cycling is good for health and for the environment. The Kingsway School encourages students who wish to cycle to school, since it improves their health and fitness and reduces traffic congestion outside the school. However, it is also vital that students who cycle to school do so safely.
While The Kingsway School wishes to support an increase in the number of students cycling to school, the decision as to whether your child is competent to negotiate such hazards as may present themselves on the route from home to school, and back must be yours and yours alone. The Kingsway School does not accept liability for any consequences of that decision. Equally, bicycles stored at school are left at the owner’s risk. Parents are advised to take out appropriate insurance cover as the school’s insurance does not cover loss or damage to bicycles.
We strongly recommend Students wear a correctly fitted bicycle helmet to and from school and use appropriate reflective clothing and bicycle lights when visibility is poor.
Conditions for Cycling to School:
- All bicycles must be in a roadworthy condition;
- Cyclists must ride sensibly and follow the Highway Code;
- Students must not ride in large groups;
- Students must not engage in any dangerous or reckless behaviour which may put their own or other road users’ safety at risk;
- Approved bicycle training should have been undertaken, where available;
- All bicycles must be locked securely.
Park and Stride
- From Sainsbury’s Car Park A, walk toward the recycling centre and use the designated footpath through the petrol station to reach the road
- Cross using the zebra crossing towards the cycle path signposted Cheadle and proceed under the subway towards Bruntwood Park
- Near the park entrance, turn left and follow the cycle route along Schools Hill, crossing at the bollards
- Take the first left to emerge on the A34 and continue towards school, using the subway if you are attending the Foxland Campus, or the pedestrian lights if you are attending Broadway.
Notes: The route is a designated cycle way. Please cross at allocated points and proceed with caution at all times. Students should avoid the route over the roundabout as there are fewer safe crossing points.
School Bus Services
For more information, please visit: TfGM School Bus Services
Concessionary and free travel - The IGO Pass
All students between the ages of 11 and 16 need an IGO pass if they wish to travel at the concessionary (reduced fare) rate on buses. The IGO pass is like an ID card and proves that the student is aged 16 or under. It must be carried on all journeys and shown to the driver before paying the fare.
The IGO pass costs £10 and can only be bought by students who live, or go to school in Greater Manchester.
More information on IGO and an application form to get an IGO pass is on the Bee Network (TfGM) website.
(Please note: students who are entitled to a free Scholars Travel Pass for journeys between home and school and students aged between 16 and 19 who have a Scholars Concessionary Pass, do not need an IGO Pass for these journeys)