To avoid misunderstanding and to maintain our high standards of appearance, the following clarification is given:
- Shoes: Plain, flat, below the ankle all black leather footwear only (including soles). Footwear should have no air pockets, different coloured laces or any additional decoration. It should not be a sports shoe.
- Trousers: Must be school approved tailored trousers – no jeans, canvas, chinos or corduroy allowed.
- Jewellery: No jewellery may be worn, this includes earrings and other piercings. Please note, we do not allow plasters over new piercings – students will be asked to remove all piercings.
- Watch: It is recommended that students wear a watch (not an expensive one).
- Make-up: is not permitted. Students wearing makeup will be required to remove it. Nail varnish and false nails (including gels and acrylics) are not permitted, neither are false eye lashes.
- Outerwear: Denim, leather, camouflage jackets, coats with large or unsuitable logos or lettering and hoodies of any sort are not allowed. No outdoor coats or jackets are allowed to be worn in the school buildings.
- Football Club Clothing: Coats, hats, scarves etc. which explicitly form part of the support for football teams are not to be worn.
- Haircuts: Hair should be kept tidy with a sensible style and length. Extreme haircuts are not permissible, e.g. unnatural hair colour (including red) and shaved heads less than grade 2.
As a Health and Safety measure, long hair should be tied back from the face during lessons where there is a potential Health and Safety risk, e.g. Food Technology or a Science experiment where a Bunsen burner is used. This applies to both boys and girls.
Would parents/guardians also note that aerosol type cans are NOT permitted in school. This covers deodorants and hair sprays.
Students should be provided with a suitable bag to carry their belongings. School bags should have 2 straps and be big enough to carry the student's PE kit. Plastic bags and handbags are not appropriate.
We hope this information will help in providing guidance in the standards we expect. If, before expensive items are bought, you have any queries about uniform, please contact the school.
Official Uniform Stockists
|The Shopping Centre||220‑222 Fog Lane||Unit 15 Henshaw Street|
|0161 488 3411||0161 445 7740||0161 620 0237|
To minimise the cost of uniform, we would strongly recommend that non-branded clothing (which has been made minimal where possible) is purchased from high street stores, such as supermarkets – this could include for example, white shirts and trousers.
Students who arrive at the school inappropriately dressed will be given the opportunity to make corrections when entering the school building. Alternatively, students may be asked to return home to change (with parent/carer permission), or parents/carers may be contacted to ensure the correct uniform is brought into school so that the student can be dressed correctly.
Any student who is unable to wear the full school uniform due to medical concerns, endorsed by a medical practitioner, will be issued with a temporary uniform pass by their Pastoral Head of Year. The student needs to carry this pass with them at all times. Class teachers should ask students to produce their pass on entry to the classroom. All staff should address students who fail to wear the correct uniform and who deliberately choose not to be part of The Kingsway School's culture.
If there are any uniform concerns, please contact your child's form tutor in the first instance.
In some instances, we may be able to provide assistance with the cost of purchasing the uniform for your child, including the PE kit; parent/carers who are experiencing difficulties should speak to their child’s Pastoral Head of Year in the first instance, or at the point of transition into Year 7.
School Uniform: General
- Navy blazer with school badge
- Navy V-neck pullover with school crest - students will not be required to wear this during warmer periods and is at the Headteacher's discretion
- Shirt - plain white, short or long sleeved
- School tie - with House colour. Houses will be assigned in July of your Transition year.
- Black tailored trousers
- Navy skirt - stitch down pleated (school crest optional)
School Uniform: PE Kit
- Navy Kingsway polo shirt (Also required for Dance)
- Navy training shorts*
- Navy training shorts*
- Navy blue skort*
- Navy school leggings*
*Only one of the shorts, skort or leggings are required.
- Indoor socks
- Long-sleeve multisport shirt (optional)
- 1/4 zip training top (optional)
- Tracksuit pants (optional)
In relation to footwear, the school uniform policy states plain, flat, below the ankle all black leather footwear only (including soles). Footwear should have no air pockets, not have different coloured laces or any additional decoration.
The pictures below illustrate the type of school shoes that are permitted at The Kingsway School.
- Suitable hair accessories only, which must be plain and either navy blue or black.
- Hijab, if worn, must be plain navy blue or black and without decoration.
A two strap bag (ideally a rucksack) is part of the full uniform. The bag needs to be durable and big enough to fit key equipment (including planner), PE kit and a water bottle.
- Outdoor: Suitable outdoor coats should be worn when the weather is inclement. Non-uniform jumpers or hooded tops are not permitted. Leather/denim coats and jackets are not permitted.
- Hoods/Caps: not permitted.
- Coats/Gloves/Scarves/Winter Hats: not permitted indoors.
- Mobile Phones/iPods: not permitted.