Teacher Training Taster Days
Whether you are a graduate looking to start your career in education or someone looking for a career change, you may be passionate about inspiring the next generation but want more experience in a school setting, have questions about teaching, and want a better understanding of the teacher training process. The Kingsway School is inviting you to attend our 'Teacher Training Taster Days'.
During these taster days, you will be able to see learning in practice, with multiple opportunities to visit classrooms, observe teaching, and meet our students. Through this, you will gain a clear understanding of the role of a teacher, the important relationships teachers have with students, and how teachers engage, challenge and inspire students during lessons. Being in a classroom observing lessons is a brilliant way to see teaching in action and really get a realistic feel for what it is like to be a teacher today.
In addition, these taster days will build in time for you to explore all potential training routes on offer, with the added opportunity of speaking with staff that elected to train at The Kingsway School, as well as a range of staff at different stages of their career and in different roles. You will be free to ask questions and gain a true understanding of the realities of being a teacher at different levels, from the training process to members of the Senior Leadership Team and Pastoral Team.
If you're certain you want to teach students and join vocation that makes a difference, inspire and help students, or if you're uncertain and want more information, then attend our Taster Days for more experience and insight into the teaching profession.
Register for the Taster Days using the links below:
Committed to creating tomorrow’s teachers today!
Do you want a career that makes all the difference? Then why not train with us? We are looking for someone who is:
- Committed to the education of children.
- Passionate about their subject and how it can shape young minds.
- Hard-working, determined and a role model to young people.
One of the most empowering routes into the teaching profession is to learn with and from a team of professionals in an inspirational and dedicated Teaching School Alliance. Our schools have long established links with each other and with MMU, our accredited provider.
Our Secondary School Direct programme offers you:
- A rich and varied experience of all aspects of the secondary education sector, provided by the schools within our secondary hub.
- Placements, which will allow you to experience and embrace teaching students from ages 11-18, from a wide socioeconomic and multicultural background, within comprehensive schools, academies, resourced centres and a pupil referral unit.
- Bespoke teaching placements and experience during your training, tailored to you, which will provide you with the best chance of success.
- Dedicated support and mentoring, during your training, affording you all the opportunities you need to become an outstanding professional.
This is a year-long school-based training programme that will lead to Postgraduate Certification (PGCE) and Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). The training will be delivered jointly by MMU and by expert teachers in the Empower Alliance schools.
What will this training look like?
- A main placement in a designated school from within the Alliance.
- A second contrasting school placement from within the Alliance.
- Pedagogical lectures and online learning.
- Dedicated time spent in the classroom teaching your subject.
- Subject-based mentor sessions helping you develop your practise.
- Experience of the pastoral and wider school community.
- Extracurricular activities.
- Professional Development Training Sessions.
The first benefit of School Direct is that you apply to the school, as well as the university. I was interviewed by the school – I loved this part of the application process because the power is with the schools to choose who trains with them. This allowed me to tour the school I would be training in, familiarise myself with students and staff, and meet staff members I would be directly working with. As a result, when I received the brilliant news that I could train at The Kingsway School, I didn’t feel nervous but instead felt so welcome.
N. Dean - English KS3 Co-ordinator
The training given was in-depth and covered all aspects of modern teaching. The support given to me was above and beyond every time. I was provided with high quality training, involving CPD and external courses, to help further my teaching.
J. Howarth - PE Teacher
The element of School Direct that helped me become an outstanding teacher was the mentoring process – mentors are able to offer support that goes above and beyond PGCE, as in School Direct, you are in school more and can see your mentors more.
N. Dean - English KS3 Co-ordinator
The Alliance commitments to you:
- A nominated, experienced, school-based mentor.
- Regular mentor meetings that support, feedback and challenge your professional development.
- Experience across the secondary age range (11-18 years old).
- Enhanced educational theory sessions and practical advice.
- Opportunities for you to tailor and influence your own professional development.
- Accreditation is through MMU, achieved by demonstrating the meeting of teaching standards.
Want to know more?
The Teaching School and their Alliance partners have a wealth of strengths to offer you. As well as each school having its own distinctive strengths, the Alliance will draw upon Specialist Leaders in Education to enhance our School Direct teacher training. This unique school-based learning opportunity is built upon the fundamental relationships between the Alliance partners, the University and you.
To find out more about our schools, please visit our school websites:
School Direct Route - 2018/19
This year we are recruiting for English, Maths and all 3 Science subjects.
Please go to the UCAS website and search for 'teacher training'.
Please select the secondary option from the age range box and then choose in the 'Search for Provider' box Gatley Teaching School SK8. This will take you directly to a screen showing what courses we are offering and more information about them.
For information on bursaries attached to our School Direct Courses please go to the get into teaching website.