At Kingsway we provide excellent careers advice and guidance, which is supported by impartial advice from an external careers company. We provide our students with:
- Support to continue in learning, apprenticeships and employment.
- Comprehensive information and advice which responds to the needs of each learner.
- Empowerment to plan and manage their own futures.
- Careers guidance which informs pupils of local employment needs.
- High aspirations for what they can achieve in the future.
- Equality of opportunity and a challenge to stereotypes.
- Help with their progress to the next stage in their careers.
The careers library contains comprehensive information on further education, higher education, apprenticeships and employment. We have a dedicated member of staff who works closely with colleges, sixth form and employers. Visiting speakers provide students with an insight into the wealth of jobs and opportunities available and raise aspirations.
In Years 7 and 8 students are introduced to careers through a focus on self-awareness of their skills and interests during Life Skills lessons. They are encouraged to research different types of occupations and careers and to consider the qualifications and skills required.
We are supported by Careers Education, an external impartial careers company, and their fully accredited staff in providing students with individual careers interviews. This includes a Careers Action Plan which parents can access via the Connect webpage. A dedicated confidential room in the careers library is used for all our individual careers interviews.
At key points we provide additional and specific support. During the GCSE options in Year 9 students receive advice and guidance through dedicated assemblies, tutor sessions and the Options Evening, as well as, the traditional parents’ evening. Further guidance is provided by a range of employers at the Careers Speed Dating Evening early in Year 9.
In Year 10 every students has their own practice job interview with outside employers. Each student receives an evaluation of their performance and guidance as to their strengths and which areas to address. The Post 16 Evening allows students and parents the opportunity to meet representatives from sixth form colleges, universities, apprenticeship and training providers, and employers. At the end of the year students are able to attend local college taster days.
In Year 11 sixth form schools and colleges have assemblies with all students informing them of what they offer and their application processes. Additional sessions are provided by apprenticeship providers, and this programme is supplemented each year by lunchtime drop-in sessions. During Year 11 students receive individual careers interviews with a qualified impartial careers advisor.
Our careers work is evaluated through student voice, observations and the destinations of our students at the end of Year 11. Furthermore, feedback from employers, colleges and parents is used to help improve our programme.
Careers contact for employers
We are always keen to extend our careers programme. If you are a business or employer and feel you can help provide excellent careers information or opportunities for our students, then please contact the school's careers leader: Mr R Knott, Senior Deputy Headteacher - email@example.com
The widget can be used to explore and compare key information about occupations to support the process of identifying potential careers.
The Careerometer widget provides access to a selection of headline data relating to pay, weekly hours of work and future employment prospects.
The data are organised by occupation: simply type in the title of the job you are interested in and the widget provides a series of options from which you can select the most relevant to you.
College Open Days
All Year 11 students are invited to attend local college Open Days to get more information on their preferred courses and make necessary decisions on which colleges they would be interested in applying to. Students are advised to attend as many college open days as they can in order to compare the courses and facilities on offer.
Please Note: These are the dates and times provided at this time and are very unlikely to change. However in occasional circumstances arrangements for these events can change so please make sure you check on relevant websites.
- Wednesday 9th October, 6:30pm-8:30pm
- Thursday 31st October, 6:30pm-8:30pm
Connell College (near to Etihad Stadium)
- Saturday 5th October, 10am-1pm
- Wednesday 13th November, 5pm-7pm
- Saturday 5th October 2019, 10am-1pm
- Sunday 13th October 2019, 10am-1pm
- Thursday 17th October 2019, 5pm-8pm
- Thursday 21st November 2019, 5pm-8pm
- Thursday 23rd January 2020, 5pm-8pm
- Thursday 19th March 2020, 5pm-8pm
- Saturday 20th June 2020, 10am-1pm
- A-Level Open Evening, Thursday 3rd October 2019, 5:00pm-7pm - Shena Simon
- 16-18 Open Event, Thursday 10th October 2019, 5pm-7:30pm - Harpurhey, Nicholls, Northenden, Openshaw, Shena,Welcomb Street, Wythenshawe
- 16-18 & Adult Open Event & Interview Session, Monday 6th July 2020, 2pm-4:30pm - All Campuses
- Saturday 19th October 2019, 10am-2pm
- Monday 18th November 2019, 6-8pm
Future Skills at MediaCityUK
Pendleton Sixth Form College
- Saturday 12th October, 10am-12pm
- Thursday 5th December, 5:30-7:30pm
- Thursday 12th March, 5:30-7:30pm
- Saturday 19th October, 10am arrival
- Saturday 16th November, 10am arrival
- Saturday 7th December, 10am arrival
Please register on Reaseheath’s college website to attend one of these days
Salford City College – City Skills
- Monday 14th October, 5:30-7:30pm
- Saturday 9th November, 10am-2pm
- Monday 9th March 2020, 5:30-7:30pm
- Wednesday 6th November 2019, 4:30pm-7:30pm
- Wednesday 5th February 2020, 4:30pm-7:30pm
- Saturday 20th June 2020, 10am-2pm
The Cheadle College
- Next years dates TBC
UTC Media City
- Next years dates TBC
- Saturday 5th October 2019, 10:30am-2pm
- Sunday 13th October 2019, 10:30am-2pm
School Sixth Forms
Cheadle Hulme High Sixth Form
- Thursday 7th November 2019, 6pm-8:30pm
Parrs Wood High Sixth Form
- Saturday 12th October, 10am-12pm
Stockport Grammar School
- Tuesday 15th October, 6:45pm
Wilmslow Sixth Form
- Thursday 7th November, 6-8pm
Manchester Grammar School
- Saturday 9th November 9:30am-12pm
- Thursday 7th May 4:30-7pm