The Government has announced measures for living with COVID-19. The basis of these measures is to treat COVID-19 in the same way as other infectious respiratory diseases. The need to test for COVID-19 has generally been removed, as has access to free tests.
A student who has symptoms of a respiratory illness and a high temperature should not attend school, and avoid contact with other people, until they feel able to resume normal activities AND no longer have a high temperature.
If a student has received a positive COVID-19 test then they should remain at home for 3 days after the test result and avoid contact with other people. This period is extended to 5 days for an adult.
Symptoms of COVID-19, flu and common respiratory infections include:
- continuous cough
- high temperature, fever or chills
- loss of, or change in, your normal sense of taste or smell
- shortness of breath
- unexplained tiredness, lack of energy
- muscle aches or pains that are not due to exercise
- not wanting to eat or not feeling hungry
- headache that is unusual or longer lasting than usual
- sore throat, stuffy or runny nose
- diarrhoea, feeling sick or being sick