Headteacher’s Blog – Week 10

Super student ambassadors

There was a lot of activity last week from different groups of students who were playing their part in our school’s vision to ‘create the best version of themselves’.

Between Tuesday and Thursday, Year 8 students took part in first aid, CPR and defibrillator training. This is part of our schools Life Skills programme and focuses on the statutory guidance which states that by the end of secondary school students should know:

• basic treatment for common injuries
  • life-saving skills, including how to administer CPR
  • the purpose of defibrillators and when one might be needed. 

Students learned about how to use a defibrillator, how to put somebody in the recovery position and how to administer CPR. Students used dummies to practice CPR and were able to put each other in the recovery position. Students were well behaved and took these sessions very seriously. A special thank you goes to Miss Lucas and Miss Horsey who planned and delivered these engaging and important sessions.

Another group of student ambassadors were our Student Parliament - a large group of students representing all year groups who met for the first parliament meeting of the year on Wednesday. There were a number of hot topics discussed including how school leaders can support improving the quality of baguettes served in the canteen to how we can provide better facilities for bike storage, and much more besides. The meeting was chaired by Mr Wood.

A number of issues were resolved at the meeting and some others will require further input from school leaders and parliament members, such as improving the areas students can access during poor weather conditions. This is something that parliament members will be taking to our PTA (The Kingsway Association) to see if they have funds to support some improved facilities. You can see how valuable your PTA contributions are to directly improving the experience for our students.

Year 9 Options

During Year 9 students will be making important choices regarding which subjects they wish to continue studying at Key Stage 4 (Years 10 & 11). We have maintained a broad curriculum which provides the best foundation for the next stage in their careers. Students will be placed on Options pathways to guide them about their curriculum. All students will need to select four subjects to study in addition to the core curriculum (maths, English language, English literature, science, Life skills and PE). The majority of students will have to study a Modern Foreign Language as one of their four choices, and either History, Geography or Computer Science. This will leave a further two subjects for the students to choose.

A 'What Next? Careers’ booklet will be issued at the end of November. This booklet is aimed at Year 9 students and their parents in preparation for choosing their options for GCSE. It includes information from a wide variety of employers and professions which cover a range of industries. 

‘Options Information’ booklets will be available after Christmas. These will provide information regarding course content and examination requirements.

Year 9 Options Evening is on 20th January 2022, in addition to the normal Year 9 Parents’ Evening on Thursday 3rd February. At the Options Evening parents will be given more information about the options process as well details about individual subjects.

The option forms must be submitted by Monday 28th February. It is really important that students consider their choices carefully because these will not be changed in Year 10.

Further information will be made available on the school website.

Bike pods

We have recently completed a security review and we noticed that a lot of our students favour the main bike sheds rather than our individual bike pods. These alternatives offer a private storage locker for our student bikes, which are not only more secure, but students can access them even if they leave school outside the normal times, such as for an appointment or after a match. We strongly encourage students to take advantage of these. Please speak to your child’s head of year as these are on a first come first serve basis. If there is enough demand we will look at installing more pods.

Kingsway’s blessing

On Monday we were privileged to welcome Bishop Mark Tanner of Chester to Kingsway. During his visit with us he visited a Religious Studies GCSE class where he was able to answer students' questions and support them in their studies on the topic Living the Christian Life. 

A mixture of year 7 and 8 students took part in a STEM activity afterschool on Wednesday 10th November. They looked at the science behind making honeycomb and then all had a go at producing their own. While it was cooling they all sampled one that had been made earlier. I think that they were all shocked as to how simple it is to make the inside of a Crunchie bar!

Remembrance Day

On Sunday I was very proud to see a number of our students attend the Cheadle Remembrance Parade. A range of senior students and prefects, community ambassadors and members of the Year Council, accompanied members of staff to represent The Kingsway School. They were incredibly respectful as they watched Senior Students, Charlie and Tanzeela lay a wreath on the memorial.

Throughout the week all students attended the virtual assembly led by Mr Cook, which explored our local connections to the war, and we held a minute’s silence on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. This was preceded by Mr Lawton playing ‘The Last Post’ and Mr Cook, moving reading of an extract from a local soldier’s letter to his wife.

Captain Charles May. In 1912 he met his wife, Maude, and moved to Manchester with her to become a journalist with the Manchester Evening News. He wrote this letter to his wife on the day before the Battle of the Somme. He lost his life on the first day of that battle.

I must not allow myself to dwell on the personal – there is no room for it here. Also it is demoralising. But I do not want to die. Not that I mind for myself. If it be that I am to go, I am ready. But the thought that I may never see you or our darling baby again turns my bowels to water.

…My one consolation is the happiness that has been ours. Also my conscience is clear that I have always tried to make life a joy for you. I know that if I go you will not want. That is something.

But it is the thought that we may be cut off from each other which is so terrible and that our babe may grow up without my knowing her and without her knowing me. It is difficult to face. And I know your life without me would be a dull blank.

Yet you must never let it become wholly so, for you will be left with the greatest challenge in all the world; the upbringing of our baby. God bless that child, she is the hope of life to me.

My darling, au revoir. It may well be that you will only have to read these lines as ones of passing interest. On the other hand, they may well be my last message to you. If they are, know through all your life that I loved you and baby with all my heart and soul, that you two sweet things were just all the world to me. I pray God I may do my duty, for I know, whatever that may entail, you would not have it otherwise.”

Mobile Phones/Contacting Your Child During the School Day

This week, all students have been reminded of our rules about mobile phones and communication from home. We appreciate that the majority of students will have mobile devices with them as a safeguarding measure to and from school. However, mobile devices can cause significant distractions in school. Therefore, we do not expect to see them from the moment our students come through the gates on the way into school until they are going through the gates on their way home. If we do see mobile devices they will be confiscated and students will be asked to collect them at the end of the school day.

If your child needs to contact you during the school day, they have been told to do so via their Pastoral Head of Year. If you need to contact your child for any reason during the school day please do not do so via their mobile device. Instead please do so via the Pastoral Head of Year or reception.

Dates For Your Diary

Date Event
Friday 26th November - Friday 10th December Year 11 PPEs
Friday 17th December Santa Dash
Friday 17th December @ noon Term finishes
Tuesday 4th January Students return to school at 8:30am

Have a good week, and stay safe and well.

Mrs J. Lowe
Headteacher

Scroll to top