Headteacher’s Blog – Week 30

Let’s get physical

How do you keep fit?

I keep my steps up by walking the dog each morning and walking across our campuses throughout the day. Reaching 10,000 steps isn’t that difficult during a day at Kingsway! I’m sure many of our students also achieve this on a daily basis.

As you will be aware, we significantly reduced the need for students to move across campuses two years ago, particularly for our younger students. However, there has been some feedback from our senior students and student council that they would like the facility to cross the campuses freely at break times. This is mainly so they can see friends who are on the other campus, or maybe access a teacher or facility. To be honest, I’m a bit reluctant to move back to the old model as I don’t want learning time lost by students dawdling from one site to the other. However, I want our student body to feel they have a voice and as such I have said that I will allow them to trial this towards the end of the term. What do you think?

Walking from Foxland to Broadway isn’t the only exercise students get at Kingsway! All our students participate in a range of sports during practical PE lessons.

Last week, the PE department ran a trip to Hillside golf club for 21 students to be part of The British Masters golf tournament, hosted by Ryder Cup hero and top British golfer, Tommy Fleetwood. The British Masters is part of the European Tour and is held at a different golf course across the British Isles each year. The trip was aimed at Year 8 and 9 students considering taking PE as a GCSE option and allowed students to learn about hosting a major sporting event and the role of media in sports, as well as seeing the different practice methods professional athletes go through before competing professionally. It hopefully influenced the students to take up an interest in a different sport, such as golf.

The format of the day was “Pro-Am”, this was a more relaxed day than the intense competition days and allowed our students to witness the world’s top golfers play with celebrities. The students engaged in activities such as: closest to the pin, longest drive and chipping. I think every student walked away with a free baseball cap because they all managed to sink a 20 metre putt! The students then made their way down onto the golf course to watch the action. Host Tommy Fleetwood took time out from his round to talk to our students and to sign backpacks and wallets and pose for pictures. The students then hunted out some massive stars of the sporting world, grabbing pictures with England’s greatest ever wicket taker, cricketer Jimmy Anderson, as well as England team mate Stuart Broad. Next up was watching England footballers past and present with more pictures and autographs with Alan Shearer and England’s current number 1, Jordan Pickford. Overall, the day was a great success, with everyone wanting to do it all again next year! Thank you to Mr Howarth for organising such a great experience for our young people.

There are also opportunities for our families to get active in the community. I received a lovely email last week from The Gatley Village Partnership: “On behalf of GVP, thank you so much for allowing us to run our Sports Day at the school and to your staff for helping us on the day and beforehand. I have had many people tell me how much they and their children enjoyed the afternoon, which is lovely and would not otherwise have been possible this year without you kindly opening up the school for us."

Staff and students certainly experienced the elements on our practice expedition last week, starting in rain on the first expedition and ending in hail on the second expedition. Miss Horsey said: “The students were incredible - from cooking eggs for breakfast (having never cracked an egg on the side of a pan before) to excellent navigation in a field full of cows. In a rare stroke of luck, students were all able to pitch their tents in relatively dry conditions, however we all braved the rain during our walk across the Peak District.”

78 students completed their practice expedition successfully and now have the job of drying out their tents before starting to prepare for the assessed expedition in June.

Finally, I would like to wish the best of luck to our Year 11 students who begin their written GCSE examinations this week. I am proud of each and every one of them - good luck guys, you’ve got this!

Have a great week everyone.

Mrs J. Lowe
Headteacher

Scroll to top