fbpx

Headteacher’s Blog – Week 14

The most wonderful time of the year!

I love Christmas - especially the run up to it! Though I have to admit, I’m a bit further behind with my preparations than I would normally like.

With just two weeks left in school, staff and students are continuing to work hard to squeeze every last drop out of each lesson.

Last week I had the joy again of awarding our monthly merit total winners with their certificates and badges. Here’s what was going on around school on Friday 7th December:

Gaskell Winner: Charlie Lund 8N
When I walked in to Charlie’s maths lesson, it took me a moment to spot her because all the class were scattered around the classroom with metre rulers against every wall & window! When I asked Charlie, she explained that the class had been challenged to calculate how many post it notes it would take to wallpaper the classroom! I haven’t yet been told the outcome - though my guess would be a lot!

Lowry Winner: Imogen West 9H
Imogen was in her Physics lesson period 5 on Friday and again all the class were actively involved in experiments. Imogen’s group were testing electrical conductivity as a solid, whilst another group were testing it as a liquid.

Pankhurst Winner: Ella-Grace Sixsmith 9E
Ella’s was in the same class as Imogen and her group was looking at the properties of ionic compounds by heating sodium chloride and testing whether it has a high or low melting point (I had to ask Miss Khan to help me explain this one!).

Turing Winner: Emma Boaler 7A
I found Emma in Mr William’s RE lesson, where there was much debate on theories of creation. Was the universe created by accident? Or on purpose? Students shared with me their thoughts on the Big Bang and God the creator. It was a really engaging lesson and I was so impressed with the standard of discussion from our 11 and 12 year olds.

Rylands Winner: Amy Berry 10A
I felt I had walked in to the Cote d’Azur when I went to find Amy. Miss Hunt had a lovely photograph of a beach scene on display and the entire conversation between students and teacher was in French. They were developing their vocabulary by describing the scene in front of them. Bravo!

Whitworth Winner: Emily Foster 8H
Three times monthly winner Emily was in Food Tech, working on her evaluation. I asked her to show me what she had made this lesson, and she kindly took her scone based pizza out of the oven. I left feeling pretty hungry!

Six fabulous merit total winners and amazing Kingsway learners. Well done guys!

More great news for Kingsway learners last week…

We were thrilled to have been informed that our project ‘Ufikiaji’, has been shortlisted as a finalist at The Big Bang Competition Finals! The Big Bang is a nationally renowned competition for the UK’s young scientists and engineers. Being shortlisted is a further recognition of our commitment and achievement in science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM). The Finals will take place at the NEC in Birmingham on Wednesday 13 and Thursday 14 March 2019. At the Finals, our students will be judged by leading experts and there are over £20,000 worth of prizes and experiences to win. The winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony on Thursday 14 March! You can find out more about the event and to find out about previous winners by visiting the Big Bang Fair website.

Well done to Mr Hammersley and Miss Khan who have supported Team Ufikiaji: Fiona Sallaku, Pippa Woods, Aroush Zia, Thomas Bridley-Carter, Rowan Mcnally, Kirstin Attfield. The word Ufikiaji means derives from the word ‘accessibility’ in Swahili. Students said: “We chose this as our name because we are basing our project in our sister school Kenya and the native language spoken in Swahili.”

Further fabulous news came in last week from the regional round of the National Schools Trampolining competition, where Year 8 student Rory Taylor came second in the 7-9 years Elite section and qualifies to compete in Northern Ireland on 26th January 2019. We wish Rory the best of luck in the next round of the competition.

Well done also to the 7-9 girls intermediate team (Poppie Walters, Georgie Cavanagh, Maddy McCulley, Emily Foster and Faith Francis), who came third in the North West. More success came from the 7-8 Girl's Novice team who came fourth in the North West; Mia Carroll, Hannah Courtney, Emilia Taylor and Anabel Tinkler-Delgado. Finally, congratulations to Kate Rogers who came 22nd out of 32 in the Years 10-14 intermediate section.

Finally, for students who want to broaden their own horizons, we are extremely excited to be giving our Year 9, 10 and 11 students the opportunity to travel to Ecuador with Camps International during the summer of 2020. Students will be working on a range of sustainable and meaningful community and conservation projects before venturing to the coast and scuba diving their way towards their PADI Open Water Certificate. Parents and interested students are invited to attend our Parents Presentation Evening to find out more. This will be taking place in the New Year on Tuesday 5th February 2019 at 6:30pm in Foxland Hall, Foxland Campus.

Have a great week everyone,

Mrs J. Lowe
Headteacher

Scroll to top