Headteacher’s Blog – Week 13

Christmas is coming! Well with the start of advent this weekend, Christmas is definitely on its way. Many of us will have our advent calendars and have begun to fill our diaries with festive dates.

This weekend included.

On Saturday, I went to Cheadle Village Victorian Christmas Markets to join Mr Wood and Mr Lawton and some of our students who were supporting the event.

Our students helped out on traditional Victorian stalls such as splat the rat and a coconut shy (where I won a coconut!). We also had three amazing singers perform in the church: Lucy, Lottie & Kitty. Our three Christmas angels sang an eclectic mix of songs beautifully, to rapturous applause.

Kitty is one of the many extraordinary students we have at Kingsway. As well as performing over the weekend, last week she presented assemblies to the whole school.  Kitty suffers from glaucoma (an eye disease which results in vision loss). Kitty says "I initially wanted to do this assembly to raise awareness about unseen disabilities.  I wanted students to know that they are not alone and I believe that by telling my story honestly and openly was the best way to do this. I cannot express how happy I am with the response to my assembly! Amazingly, I have achieved an even bigger impact than I set out to. I am so grateful for the amount of support I have received from staff and students.  I am so happy to hear that my assembly made a difference".

In her assembly Kitty not only spoke about her condition but also sang 'Rise Up' beautifully.  We are very, very proud of her.

On Sunday team Kingsway were out again, this time in Gatley Village supporting their Christmas Fair. Students helped out on stalls and in the church hall, making lanterns with younger children. Later on in the afternoon, our school choir joined local primary school choirs to perform at Bethany Church after the formal switching on of the lights.

We are certainly getting in to the Christmas spirit at Kingsway. Last week, Year 5 students from Etchells Primary, Cheadle Primary, Gatley Primary and Lum Head joined us for some festive cheer. Students painted ceramic baubles with penguins and snowmen whilst enjoying some Christmas music. We received a lovely email from Clare Forest, Chair of Gatley Village Partnership: “On behalf of GVP, a huge thank you to your students for their hard work and patience yesterday. They were a real credit to the school, their parents and - above all - themselves”.

Don’t forget to send in your contributions for our Bring & Buy stall at our Christmas Fayre at the end of term. As well as local charities, our Christmas Fayre also raises much needed funds for our sister school in Kolweny Kenya. Over the years, we have raised money for uniforms, books, trips, sanitary products for the girls and even university scholarships. Below is a recent report from Angela Rowley’s visit in October.

Last week we held our annual Careers’ Speed Dating event with over 30 employers attending from Scientists to Physiotherapists to Hairdressers. It is always very well attended by parents and Year 9 students who come with an opportunity to discover more about the careers that are available to our young people. A special well done to Mrs Flood who organised the event.

Finally, some great news for Kingsway - we have just been awarded the Bronze Young Carers award in recognition of the work we do to ensure our Young Carers don’t miss out in school. We are delighted and proud of all our young carers and the staff in the school who support them.

Have a great week everyone,

Mrs J. Lowe
Headteacher

Scroll to top