Parents’ Guide to Homework

We have produced this guide in order for you to further support your son/daughter with regards to the completion and submission of homework.

1) What is my role in homework?
Encouragement is a major role. Ensure that your child manages and copes with the workload. Sit with them. Talk to them about the tasks. If children verbalise their learning they are more likely to retain the knowledge.

2) I’m busy and don’t have time to help. What can I do?
It’s not essential that you sit with them and work alongside them, but showing an interest is imperative. Ask them what tasks they’re undertaking tonight and sound enthusiastic!

3) I can’t help because education has changed since I was at school. I don’t know what my child is taught
You can support by appearing interested in school and their learning; reading the school newsletter and Headteacher’s blog; attending parents’ evening – generally showing an interest in school. Don’t forget to check the school website as there’s a wealth of information there.

4) I don’t know enough about a specific topic to help my child. How can I help?
Children and young adults thrive on rewards and encouragement. May be look at some information together, or help them with information and resources. Supporting is an excellent way of helping

5) It’s noisy and there’s no space at home
The school has several homework clubs and spaces to study. These run throughout breaks and after school. There will also be teachers in school, who frequently offer support in their classrooms.

6) How much homework should my child be doing?
The following has been provided as guidance for the amount of time and frequency that homework is set but it is important to remember that it is the quality of work completed rather than the quantity. The times provided below are a fortnightly average and the amount set may vary from week to week.

Key Stage 3

English90
Mathematics90
Science90
MFL60
History60
Geography60
Art40
RE30
Music30
DramaAs appropriate
Technology30
PEAs appropriate
ICT30
Food15
Textiles15

Key Stage 4

All GCSE subjects will require homework to be done as an essential part of your learning for controlled assessments and examinations.

Most students will need to do 5 or more hours per week of study at home in order to achieve the best possible grades.
At key times of year (e.g. examinations) you will need to allow more time than this. Students are encouraged to be independent and supplement their study at school in their own time.

Government guidelines/recommendations are:

• Years 7 and 8: 45-90 minutes a day
  • Year 9: 60-120 minutes a day
  • Years 10 and 11: 90-150 minutes a day

7) My child doesn’t tell me about homework. What can I do?
Ask for the planner and monitor and track the homework that is set. Ask your son/daughter’s form tutor. Ask your son/daughter open questions about today’s learning at school. Keep track of the Homework ATL on the school reports, this will summarise your child’s approach to homework in each subject.

8) My child’s homework is set irregularly and/or it doesn’t always get marked.
The first thing to do would be to talk to your child’s teacher to make sure of the facts. Homework is set as part of the school expectations, but this is not always communicated home if the student has not fully recorded this in their planner. There may also be times, in the run up to examinations/assessments, when the class teacher will make an informed judgement about the added value of homework at that point in the academic year. If there is an issue, tell us via the subject teacher in the first instance, or directly via the form tutor. If you do not feel you get a suitable response, please refer on to the Raising Standards Leader for your son/daughter’s year, or the Head of Subject.
Homework may not always be marked, it could be to consolidate learning, practice or to research, however, the class teacher will also check that the work is completed on time and to an expected standard

9) All my child seems to do is finish off work done in class
It is important from time to time to finish off classwork. However, homework should take many forms. If you aren’t sure – ask or send in a query.

10) My child spends more time than is necessary on their homework
Students work at different speeds. However, if they are spending inordinate amounts of time on tasks, make a note in their books – or simply write, ‘X has spent 30 minutes of this task.’ The teacher will then take charge of the situation. We strongly urge that parents resist the impulse to become overly engaged with completing the homework with their son/daughter. The work produced in these circumstances could mislead the teacher into the student’s actual knowledge and understanding. Instead please inform the teacher who may then decide to offer further differentiation and/or support for your child.

11) My child finds the homework too easy and/or finishes it too quickly
As previously stated students work at different speeds, however, should your child be finding the work too easy or completing it quickly, they can always do the extension activities that are suggested. Additionally, all students should be reading for at least 20 minutes every day, this is not set homework by teachers, but it is an expectation that we urge parents to supervise and enforce to develop literacy skills. It is also worthwhile checking the quality of the work that is completed as well. Should the work remain unchallenging please inform the teacher in the first instance.

Finally
Homework is used to support classwork. It is an attempt to help youngsters become independent learners and more importantly form a base of good practice which can be built on in future years. The Kingsway School regards homework as an integral; part of the learning process. We hope you have found this guide useful.

Scroll to top